Monday 23 January 2012

Books: Blackest Night

________________________________________________________________________________

Blackest Night
Written by Geoff Johns
Art by Ivan Reis and Oclair Albert 
2011





Available now from Islington Libraries
You can reserve this item for free here:
http://www.library.islington.gov.uk/TalisPrism/

I tried. Really. I tried. As hard as I possibly could.

But there was just no way that I could get myself to read this book all the way through.

It was all too much - and as soon as I managed to get a few pages in my brain would go all fuzzy and I just wasn't able to read any further into it: and it all just becomes mush - brightly coloured, outer space, super-heroic, with added zombies mush.

I tried with the others too (Green Lantern: Blackest Night, Green Lantern Corps: Blackest Night, Black Lantern Corps: Blackest Night: Volume One, Black Lantern Corps: Blackest Night: Volume Two etc etc): but same result.

And - hey: to be clear - I love all those things: colours, space, super-heroes and zombies (how could I not?). But Blackest Night - I dunno. I think that unless you've been following things from the start it's pretty hopeless to just jump on board and hope to enjoy things. Geoff Johns is not Grant Morrison (whose Final Crisis is the nearest thing that I've read that comes close to this - and that at least was fun even in it's no-sense-making-ness).

Being nice: I just don't think that my brain is tuned the right way to be able to enjoy this type of stuff. Being nasty: this kind of stuff is just rubbishy, over-saturated, all-too-much-all-time-all-over nonsense.

What is good are the articles underneath which you should read even if you haven't read and don't want  to ever want to read the book itself.

That's all you get. Sorry.

.......................................................................................................................................................
Links: Tearoom of Despair Review, Death To The Universe Article: Geoff Johns The Best On Offer Part 1 / Part 2.

Further reading: Green Lantern: Secret Origin, Green Lantern: Rebirth, Final Crisis.

All comments welcome.

No comments: