Tuesday 20 March 2012

Books: Chicken with Plums

________________________________________________________________________________

Chicken with Plums
By Marjane Satrapi
2009





Available now from Islington Libraries
You can reserve this item for free here:
http://www.library.islington.gov.uk/TalisPrism/


Here's where I admit that I haven't actually read Persepolis all the way through (comic book blasphemy I know). I did try really really hard - but the damn thing just didn't fufil my basic entertainment requirements (or something): I mean - hell - even Maus has Art Spiegelman's dad to keep things (slightly) buoyant.

Then I tried Embroideries - which (maybe because my expecations were low) - left me pleasently surprised. Something maybe about it being divorced from wider political concerns and focusing more on human relationships made it easier for me to enjoy (not that I have anything against books being political - I just think that the writer has to be really good in not making it all feel dry).

So - when I saw Chicken with Plums sitting on the shelf at another library (having been sent there on relief) - I thought - what the hell. Plus (just between you and me) - I always like to feature books like these so that the blog isn't just swamped with superhero stuff.

Anyways. Chicken with Plums - yeah - it was kinda cool. Much lighter and to the point than Persepolis - although not as funny and as cheeky as Embroideries. Telling the story of Nasser Ali Khan and his last few days on Earth - this is a book that's half folk tale / half anecdote. With a mood that's grave and serious - that still somehow manages to avoid being a complete bummer. I still find her artwork a little too extreme for my delicate tastes (all those chunks of black!) but when I finished reading this - I didn't feel like I'd wasted my time. 

......................................................................................................................................................
Links: PopMatters Review, Relevant Magazine Review, Collected Editions Review

Further reading: Embroideries, Habibi, The Rabbi's Cat.

All comments welcome.

No comments: