Tuesday 28 February 2012

Books: Captain America: Man Out of Time

________________________________________________________________________________

Captain America: Man Out of Time
Written by Mark Waid
Art by Jorge Molina
2011




Available now from Islington Libraries
You can reserve this item for free here:
http://www.library.islington.gov.uk/TalisPrism/


I don't wanna be too judgemental or anything but: Radiohead don't look like that.

I wish that I could have found a picture on the internet that I could link to here. But - basically - there's a bit in this book where Radiohead play for Captain America - and - well - instead of looking like Radiohead - they look like a 8 year old boy's idea of what a rock band should be. And - duh - obviously - Radiohead don't look like that.

And - hey - you know what? - maybe I could have got over that - but then - in the end - there's what's supposed to this big cathartic moment - Captain America learning lessons and moving on and etc and blah - and it all rests upon - Radiohead (namely: Kid A). And it just seemed really silly - because it's supposed to be all emotional and whatever: but coming from a book that couldn't even get close to drawing Radiohead right. And - yeah - it annnoyed me. And - the reason I'm saying all this - is that the Radiohead problem is endemic of the problem of this whole book. I mean: it's written by Mark Waid - who I really like from Kingdom Come and Irredeemable - but this whole book feels massively rushed and thrown together: (so much so at one point I had to double-check to see if I had accidently skipped a couple of pages): the whole book feels like there's bits missing or it's a tie-in to some other book that doesn't exist.

I remember when I first saw this book. It was sitting on the shelves in an HMV back when the Chris Evans Captain America film had first come out. I looked up at the cover and thought: "Wow. That looks kinda cool." (Although the cover was just a tiny bit confusing: was it trying to suggest that this was a story where Captain America had a fight with all the American Presidents?" [1] )

But: basically - summing up I'd just say that: Radiohead don't look like that.

Or: (even better): Trash. And not in a good way.

......................................................................................................................................................
[1] Note to whoever is reading this: can we make that book happen? It could start with the same sort of conversation that they have in Fight Club (Captain America and Iron Man sitting around having a beer: "OK: any historic figure." "I'd fight Gandhi." "Good answer." "How about you?" "Lincoln." "Lincoln?" "Big guy, big reach. Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger." "Well - I have a time machine just over here: let's do this!")

.....................................................................................................................................................
Further reading: Ultimate Captain America, Kingdom Come, IrredeemableSuperman: Birthright.

All comments welcome.

No comments: